Circular Economy & Waste Management in Africa: Increasing Investments to Achieve Sustainable Business Models for Green Jobs Creation
Date: Oct 25, 2022
Time: 00:00 to 01:30 (KST/GMT+9)
Countries in the Africa including Uganda, Rwanda and Senegal are facing high population growth, accompanied by rapid urbanization. These trends go hand in hand with changing consumption patterns, leading to an increase in high level of poorly managed waste. Despite the trend, solid waste recycling in Africa clearly showcases an engine that can drive socio-economic development. Various initiatives are being carried out across the region to exploit the potential to reach sustainable green development.
The session will feature various enablers for both long and medium term national development agendas for solid waste management including policies as well as legal and regulatory frameworks. The session will also highlight initiatives led by both the public and private sectors, focusing on the development of a circular and social economy that drives the creation of green jobs and financial wealth.
|Opening Remarks |
– H.E. Ban Ki-moon, President of the Assembly and Chair of the Council, Global Green Growth Institute (GGGI) (video message)
– Mr. Muhammad Ali Shaikh, Co-lead of waste community of practice, GGGI
|Event Speakers and presentations |
Facilitator: Mr. Jerome Fakhry, Senior Waste Management Officer – Africa Region, GGGI
1. Facilitating Access to Public Private Partnership to Build Green Infrastructure for Waste Valorization
– Speaker: Mr. Mass Thiam, Director General National Integrated Waste Management Company (SONAGED) Senegal
2. Towards effective solid waste management in Rwanda
– Speaker: Ms. Beatrice CYIZA Director General of Environment and Climate Change, Ministry of Environment Rwanda
|Open Discussion/Q&A Panel Discussion – insight and future direction from development partners active in Africa|
Facilitator: Ms. Assana Magagi-Alio, Senegal Country representative, GGGI
– Mr. Juha Savolainen, Deputy Director General, Ministry for Foreign Affairs, Government of Finland
– Ms. Sangeun Oh, Deputy Country Director, Korean International Cooperation Agency (KOICA)
– Ms. Elisa Luotonen, Expert in Circular Economy, African Development Bank
– Mr. Felix Twinomucunguzi, Assistant Commissioner, Ministry of Water and Environment Uganda.
– Dr. Malle Fofana, Director and Head of Programs, Africa, GGGI