Climate Action: NDC Achievements and Progress in the Pacific Region
Date: Oct 26, 2022
Time: 12:00 to 13:00 (KST/GMT+9)
This session will highlight the work of the Regional Pacific NDC Hub which was born at the 23rd Conference of the Parties as a vehicle to support Pacific Island Countries achieve their commitments under the Paris Agreement. With over thirty country requests serviced by the NDC Hub and its implementing partners, GIZ, GGGI, SPC, and SPREP over the past two years, the presentation will showcase chosen examples of the broad range of Pacific Island Countries’ NDC projects demonstrating their steadfast commitment to climate action. Country focal points will also be sharing the current pipeline of various NDC related projects which have been kickstarted by the NDC Hub in July this year when the third phase commenced.
At the helm of the support provided to Pacific Island Countries are the NDC Hub’s partners GIZ, GGGI, SPC, and SPREP, and these partners will share the best practices and lessons learnt in NDC implementation in the Pacific. The session will conclude by inviting feedback and sharing an opportunity to hear from participants across different regions on the modalities of accelerating NDC ambition and climate action, with particular focus on developing countries.
|Welcome Remarks |
– H.E. Ban Ki-moon, President of the Assembly and Chair of the Council, Global Green Growth Institute (GGGI) (video message)
|Presentation: Pacific Island Countries’ NDC Achievements and Progress|
– Speaker: Ms. Rebecca Eldon, Advisor, Deutsche Gesellschaft fur Internationale Zusammenarbeit (GIZ) GmbH
|High-Level Panel Discussion: Reflection on Pacific NDC Hub’s Progress and Way Forward including Q&A|
Chair: Ms. Vanda Faasoa-Chan Ting, Technical Advisor, Secretariat of the Pacific Regional Environment Programme (SPREP)
– Ms. Debra Sungi, Manager MRV, Climate Change Development Authority, Papua New Guinea
– Mr. Kirata Tekiera, National Climate Change Coordinator, Office of the President, Kiribati
– Ms. Toiata Uili, Assistant CEO, Ministry of Natural Resources and Environment, Samoa
– Mr. Ron Simpson, Adaptation Advisor, GIZ
– Mr. Daniel Muñoz-Smith, Country Representative for Fiji, Kiribati, Tonga, and Vanuatu, GGGI