Gender Just Interventions for Transformative Climate Action
Date: Oct 27, 2022
Time: 00:30 to 02:00 (KST/GMT+9)
“Just Transitions” is on the climate agenda with the Just Transition Declaration agreed at COP26 and other initiatives, including the development of Just Transitions Financial Roadmaps in some countries. At the same time, gender is often left inexplicit in the concept of Just Transitions and requisite financing continues to be lacking. This leads to increased gaps in going from ambition to tangible outcomes at impact. We are seeing missed opportunities to integrate gender and equity perspectives into climate action, which could limit tangible achievement of the SDGs.
In response to this, the Green Growth Knowledge Partnership (GGKP) Gender Expert Group (GEG) was established in 2021, consisting of leading international agencies promoting green economy and green growth, to identify and close the gaps in achieving transformative outcomes at scale, particularly through development of a Gender-Just Transition Outcomes Framework.
In this session, members of the GGKP GEG will discuss the barriers and obstacles preventing us from moving beyond “gender at entry” to real impacts on the ground. The session will respond to the following questions:
- What models and tools work?
- What do we need to further create an enabling environment for more just and inclusive outcomes?
– H.E. Ban Ki-moon, President of the Assembly and Chair of the Council, Global Green Growth Institute (GGGI) (video message)
|Welcome remark by Moderator|
– Ms. Ingvild Solvang, Deputy Director, Head of Climate Action and Inclusive Development Unit, GGGI
– Ms. Tibste Teka, Director, Women, Children and Youth Directorate, Ministry of Finance, Ethiopia
The Solution: Launching the Gender-Just Transitions Outcomes Framework
– Dr. Simon Anderson, International Institute for Environment and Development
|Real world Experience:|
Leadership and Alliance for Gender-Just Transitions: Colombia Experience
– Dr. Paola Andrea Vasquez Chaux, Universidad Autónoma de Occidente
|Panel discussion:Achieving Gender Just Transitions|
With GGKP Gender Expert Group Members:
– Ms. Ursula Becker, German Agency for International Cooperation (GIZ)
– Ms. Nina Kolybashkina, Climate Investment Funds (CIF)
– Ms. Najma Mohamed, Green Economy Coalition (GEC)
– Dr Simon Anderson, International Institute for Environment and Development (IIED)
|Empowering Youth in Gender-Just Transitions: Knowledge Sharing|
– Geneva Graduate Institute
|Closing – Comments of Reflection |
–Ms. Virginie Gilbert, Development Cooperation Officer, Ministry of Foreign and European Affairs, Luxembourg