Green Buildings: Practices and Circular Materials in Africa
Date: Oct 25, 2022
Time: 22:00 to 23:30 (KST/GMT+9)
By 2050, Africa will be home to 1.3 billion more people than it is today. That’s more than half of the world’s projected population growth of 2.4 billion people. This means a huge demand for buildings, with 80 percent of those that will exist in 2050 yet to be built.
But there is an opportunity to build right from today and to create green jobs, skills and training, and sustainable growth through widespread adoption of green building practices and circular building materials. GGGI in collaboration with member governments and partners, recognizes the huge opportunity the built environment presents to deliver on the aspiration set out by the Africa Union Agenda 2063 for a ‘prosperous Africa, based on inclusive growth and sustainable development’.
The session will bring together policy makers and practitioners to share experiences from GGGI Africa region member countries and partner organizations on the advancements made over the past few years in adoption of green buildings through building codes, energy efficiency standards, virtual learning platforms and tools to measure and compare the embodied carbon of building materials. The session will also brainstorm on the role of building partnerships and accessing climate finance to deliver impacts at scale.
– H.E. Ban Ki-moon, President of the Assembly and Chair of the Council, Global Green Growth Institute (GGGI)
– Ms. Helena McLeod, Deputy Director General and Head of GGP&I, GGGI
1. Innovations in Cement-free Concrete
Speaker: Dr. Gnanli Landrou, Co-founder, Oxara
2. Measuring and Reducing Embodied Carbon in Rwanda’s Built Environment
Speaker: Ms. Noella Nibakuze, Design Director, MASS Design Group
3. Greening Uganda’s National Building Code
Speaker: Mr. George Asiimwe, Senior Urban Development Officer, GGGI Uganda
4. State of play of Energy efficiency and Passive Cooling solutions and possible strategies to upscale them in Burkina Faso
Speaker: Mr. Madi Kabore, Senior Energy Associate, GGGI Burkina Faso
5. Green Building Learning Platform
Speaker: Mr. Olivier Arakaza, Green Africa
|Open Discussion/Q&AFacilitator: |
– Ms. Liliane Uwanziga Mupende, GGGI Session Lead
– Dr. Malle Fofana, Africa Regional Director, GGGI