The Role of Green Investments & Innovative Financing Mechanisms
– Date/Time: October 25, 2021, 11:00 – 13:00 KST (GMT+9)
– Session lead:
- Mr. Lasse Ringius, Director and Head of Green Investment Services, GGGI
- Ms. Da Yeon Choi ,Investment Portfolio Officer, Green Investment Services, GGGI
There is an urgent need today to increase the flows of investment into developing countries and emerging markets to meet the targets of the Paris Agreement and the UN Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs) by 2030. Significant volumes of green climate finance have been pledged by governments to reach these targets and goals, and commercial capital is available for investment in bankable green climate projects in emerging markets. But these public and private funds are not being invested in projects as expected. Among the principal reasons are a challenging and complex climate finance ecosystem and a shortage of green climate projects that are financially, economically, and technically feasible. For such reasons, the development of strong pipelines of investible and bankable projects has become a key priority to unlock public and private funding earmarked for green climate projects in developing countries.
The objective of this session was to highlight the importance of green climate projects and innovative financing mechanisms in mobilizing green investments and to share experience and insights from expects from the public sector, the private sector, development partners, and academia. The first three presenters focused on national and sectoral initiatives along with GGGI’s project portfolio and efforts in terms of origination, structuring, and investor mobilization to accelerate the development of a pipeline of investible and bankable green projects. The next three presenters examined the role of green finance and technology, policy, and standardization aspects. This year we are fortunate to be able to welcome representatives and experts who will explore achievements, challenges, lessons learnt, and innovative new approaches, followed by a Q&A session with the audience.
* The PPTs were available until 8th January 2022. If you wish to access the PPTs after the date, please contact us at GGGWeek2021@gggi.org.
- MN13 Mongolia Green Finance Corporation (link)
- VN13 MSWTE Finance Facility in Viet Nam (link)
- IN09 Utility scale 150MW ground mounted solar PV project for new highway corridor in Maharashtra, India (link)
– ClimateWorks Australia:
- Work in Southeast Asia (link)